Search This Blog

Friday, May 3, 2013

Tendinitis

Rumors are true.

After 4 long months of marathon training and feeling great, I am out for the count/  Deferring my marathon due to a lovely appearance of Achilles and peritoneal tendinitis.  

Its been over 2 weeks since that fateful day on the treadmill, and I am still experiencing swelling and pain around my right ankle bone.  Could I push through and run this marathon anyway?  Maybe? But why?

I only have one body... and there are thousands of marathons out there.  Besides... it isn't that one race that makes you, its all of the months and miles you put in before that big day.

I got to 18 miles comfortably which is still a huge accomplishment for  me.  I learned a lot about running habits  gear, recovery, and training.  I raised over 600 dollars for running for rescues.  

I will run a marathon.... just not this one. 

I am going to take some time off running to make sure this fully heals before I lace up the new newtons.  The orthopedic surgeon suggested I slip into my new sneakers ASAP and incorporate a lot of icing and stretching into my running routine.  

Until then, I have plenty to keep me busy.  Horseback riding, hiking, sailing, kayaking and maybe I will start my HIIT class again soon! 

The blog may slow down a bit with my lack of running and current injury.
but.
I am looking forward to running again! 

Anyone else experience tendinitis?



3 comments :

  1. Sorry to hear about the injury and deferment, Katie......but you're definitely doing the right thing. You absolutely have to listen to your body and let the injury heal. There will be other races and you'll be there to race them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Bill! Its a hard decisions! I want to run it so badly but yes, I don't want to make the injury worst and I want my first marathon to be an amazing experience.... not an extremely painful one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so right, so many other marathons.
    It's a hard decision to make, but it is a good one.
    Congrats on the fundraising for RFR though. Great job!

    ReplyDelete

Let's Chat!