Search This Blog

Thursday, May 9, 2013

Runners come in every shape and size: A Rant

Hello Thursday
You are such a tease. 



  I am not so patiently awaiting this weekends festivities- my sisters engagement party, some time in the saddle, organizing the apartment, and some couch time.

Wednesday was a little hectic with a full day of work playing scientist and a slow night behind the bar.  


(looking all important.... and stuff....)


Being a bartender I have learned to pick up on certain social cues, and learned to distinguish the Type 1  customer who wants to talk, and a Type 2 customer who wants to sip their beer while watching the Red Sox.  


Last night I had a mostly empty bar and an older gentleman who was a Type 1. He wanted to talk about my life my bar and everything else in between.  Usually you can walk away from rude people... but when someone is sitting at your bar with an open tab.. it's a little hard.  


(I may start using this technique) 


The topic of horse racing usually boils my blood a little.  Having horses and seeing what happens to many thoroughbreds after life on the track leaves a sour taste in my mouth .  After he asked my opinion and I told him how I felt, he assumed I was a PETA bug hugger.  I told him I wasn't, I love and respect animals but I am not a crazy extremist and I am not a vegetarian or anything... I just have a few strong beliefs.  He told me he could tell I wasn't a vegetarian.  This could be taken a few ways but I got the feeling that it was quite negative.  I brushed it off and gave him the benefit of the doubt.

We start talking about baseball injuries and soon I am talking about my recent running injury.  His response?  "You don't look like a runner".  I cocked my head, stared at him for a second, and told him that runners come in every shape and size.  I walked away from him a little hurt and a little pissed off.


What I wanted to say was "Please... please tell me what a runner is SUPPOSED to look like- 6 feet tall 0% body fat?  Runners come in all shapes and sizes, isn't that why we make running gear in different sizes?  If every runner was supposed to be a size two most athletic stores would be out of business".  Have to pick your fight... and I wasn't picking this one.


I am confident with my body image.  Sure I can be healthier but I am getting there.  But the point is, when did it become okay to publically nsult or put down others.  What happened to "If you don't have anything nice to say... STFU!"   I shouldn't feel the need to defend myself to strangers.   If you read my David's Bridal Post you know this isn't my first encounter with negativity.  How is it okay for some 60 year old severely out of shape man  (or anyone really) to put me down?



(In Bonaire feeling beautiful and confident- as I should)

While I have some changes to be healthier, I am happy with my body and happy at the progress I have made toward a healthier life style.  It is sad how young woman in America really struggle with body image issues and it is sad how individuals like the one I met really only make it worst.

This link about a mother finding her 7 year olds diet list I read on Maureen's blog breaking free and finding me really drives this point home.  


I am learning to brush off the negativity, but I just wish we could be more supportive and encouraging toward each other.  I'm not trying to preach world peace, just confused how some of us think its okay to treat people this way, and judge and critique the body image of strangers.





 You will meet people who will put you down, and you will see people who might even enjoy watching you fail.  All you can do is surround yourself with as many positive people as you can.    I am lucky to have a lot of people like that.  Thankful for all of you that support me time and time again.  











1 comment :

  1. I cannot believe the type of people you run into?! I would have spit in that coot's drink. ugh people are so annoying! you ARE beautiful and a runner and no one can tell you differently!

    ReplyDelete

Let's Chat!